Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Another Cold Start


Temperatures this morning were near zero. At 8 am (map to the left) the temperatures were actually warming since the lows were more like minus five degrees. The reason why we got so cold last night is because of the clear sky, dry air, and little or no wind. The amount the temperature falls at night is related to cloud cover, wind speed, and humidity. Maximum cooling occurs under clear skies, light winds, and dry conditions.The effect of clouds on the temperature is like wrapping a blanket around you to keep our body warm. Under cloudy conditions the overnight temperature will not be as cold compared to a night with clear skies. Light winds tend to confine the cold air locally, preventing it from getting warm by mixing with surrounding air. Moisture in the air keeps the heat on the ground from radiating away. Dry air cools off faster than moist air.

1 comment:

Kris said...

I always found it odd that the clearer it was the colder it was. Now that I think of it like a blanket, it makes sense.

I like that last picture.