Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Clipper System


The picture to the left is from the Hawkeye Campus Cam taken this morning as the snow was falling in Iowa City. A clipper system is causing the snow across Iowa today. The snow will begin to taper off during the afternoon hours after dumping 2-4" of snow with some isolated higher amounts in east central and southeast Iowa. A "clipper" system gets its name because it is an area of low pressure that moves quickly (clips along) through the area. Usually the precipitation associated with these are 12 hours or less. The Storm Prediciton Center put out a statement/graphic (right) and showed the area of concern during the morning hours with the potential for heavier snow. The heavier snow will also come down in a short period of time (4-6 hours). Below is the path of this storm system. The snow is causing slippery roads with many accidents this morning. Click here for the last road conditions in Iowa.

1 comment:

Kris said...

I enjoyed all the snow. School was cancelled so I got more time to work on my paper. I wish it would snow like that more often.